I delight in teaching all levels of piano, specializing in beginner lessons. It is also a joy to work with students who are at the more senior levels, including The Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM) Level 10. My teaching goal is to guide all students to play musically, articulately and to take pride in their achievements no matter what stage they’re at.
Many of my students win placement medals and scholarships from the Rotary Burlington Music Festival and succeed in RCM exams. Some of my students have pursued higher levels of music and have become professionals in the field of music.
I have been teaching for more than 20 years and am active in Burlington’s community.
I am a certified piano teacher and examiner for the RCM, a member of the Hamilton-Halton Branch of ORMTA since 1992 and a member of the College of Examiners of the RCM since 1994.
My qualifications include:
- Diploma of Music from Ecole Vincent D’Indy in Montreal while concurrently completing a B.Sc. in math and chemistry at McGill University;
- Teacher’s Associate from the RCM (ARCT, teachers’);
- Certification as an RCM Specialist Piano teacher and RCM Specialist Theory teacher; and
- ‘Contribution to Teaching’ Award from ORMTA in 2014.
I have adjudicated piano locally and in other major cities in Canada and enjoyed 10 years as principal accompanist of both junior and intermediate choirs at a church located in Burlington.
My community involvement includes:
- Co-founder of the highly successful Rotary Burlington Music Festival, founded in 1997;
- Current member of the festival board;
- Served on the executive of the Hamilton/Halton Branch of ORMTA;
- Director of the inaugural board of the Burlington Performing Arts Centre (BPAC) where I initiated the Performing Arts Development Committee; and
- Member of the fundraising team that purchased the concert grand piano that resides in the BPAC.
I develop individual lessons to meet the specific needs of my students in order to ensure that their musical skills advance at their level and pace.
Piano lessons vary in length:
- Beginner piano lessons are 30 minutes
- Advanced and adult piano lessons are 45 to 60 minutes
- Music theory is scheduled on an individual basis
Reading notes, learning proper finger articulation and rhythm are emphasized for beginners. My passion is teaching pieces by Canadian composers, as Canadian music infuses a variety of exciting 20th and 21st century idioms and energy into the piano lesson repertoire. My teaching methodology also includes the introduction of written theory during individual piano lessons.
I encourage my piano students to work towards performing RCM exams and to compete in the Rotary Burlington Music Festival. Students also have the opportunity to perform in my annual student recital and in ORMTA recitals and competitions. Above all, I strive to infuse the sheer joy of making music and a strong sense of pride in every student’s achievement.
Piano lessons for all ages
(5 to adult)
Music theory and piano lessons for RCM exams (Levels 1 to 10)
Specialist teacher for beginners
Specialist piano teacher
ARCT (Teachers’) from The Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM)
Member of ORMTA
CFMTA Certificate for Professional Achievement
As co-founder of the Rotary Burlington Music Festival I am also currently a director on the board. I have held executive positions in ORMTA, the Performing Arts Burlington inaugural board, and the Keys to the Future committee that raised funds for the concert grand piano that resides in the Burlington Performing Arts Centre.
I am an active member of the Ontario Registered Music Teachers’ Association (ORMTA) and am affiliated with the Canadian Federation of Music Teachers’ Association (CFMTA).